Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Barrels Have Arrived

01-25-09, The barrels arrived two days ago. I had to put them on hold for Mardis Gras. Our local krewe had their ball Friday night. Well here they are. They are smaller than I expected. I don't know why I expected them to be larger, I just did. They are good looking and very solid. I am a little concerned about the spigots. We will see what happens.


I filled both with hot water. I was surprised that there were very few leaks. After a few hours there were no dripping leaks, just small signs of water around the top and bottom. I will let them sit for at least three days if not longer.



I will put the bourbon straight into the smaller barrel. I am still trying to decide what I want to cure the larger barrel with before I put the port in it. Three more days of reading and thinking. Come back in four of five days to see the draining and beginning of maturing spirits and blending port.




2 comments:

  1. Gidday mate.
    Are you using white spirit or Bourbon from a bottle. I ask this as down here in New Zealand we can buy Stills from the homebrew shops, they also sell an additive that makes the spirit taste of different barrel woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anvil,

    Glad you dropped by. I will be using Old Charter 8 Year Old Bourbon. I have long been a lover of OC 12 and now they have discontinued it. I still like the OC 10, but it is not the same. The OC 8 I can not stand, so I am hopping to take the cheaper product and change it into something dirseable. We shall see what comes out as we go.

    Johnny

    ReplyDelete